Followers

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Empowerment songs

In the past few months many songs have been released, I label them as empowerment songs. Because thats what they are. They aren't always gender specific because here is the thing: Both Genders have difficult times.

A little vent digression: Have you ever noticed how gender judgmental and specific our society is? I constantly watch teens and my fellow young adults, where the girls feel the need to show way more skin than they should, and they get reprimanded... and I completely agree with reason for that! HOWEVER, when you tell a girl to not wear skimpy clothes or something like that, then theres a guy who ALWAYS walks around with his shirt off or those horribly tight jeans or shorts that show his man business...well thats a bit hypocritical. Oh "Guys lust more than girls" Um...NO I beg to differ! Next time you see a guy dressed like what I mention above go ask the girls that cant take their eyes off of him. Trust me on this...they are imagining A LOT. Lets not give guys more credit in the issue of lusting, girls have that issue too. Also, theres the whole issue of the fact that only girls cut, or are more emotional about certain issues. SO not true...As a youth minister I work with both genders that come to me about these issues. Lets start opening our hearts to the fact that both genders struggle and we should help BOTH genders.

Now back to the regularly scheduled blog: These empowerment songs are songs like... Mean by Taylor Swift, Perfect by Pink, Born This Way by Lady Gaga, Who Says by Selena Gomez, and Skyscraper by Demi Lovato. These are just a FEW recent ones I know there are more... The thing is, if you look through the hits in the past there are tons that came out. Such as Unpretty by TLC, The Beauty in Ugly by Jason Mraz and even ACC-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive by Bing Crosby (yes...that one is a VERY old song ;) haha)...they are EVERYWHERE but lately they've been coming at such a rate that it's proof that our generation, our society is crying out for help. We NEED the Positivity. (hey theres another one Positive by Taio Cruz) We need these songs that challenge us to Stand up for ourselves and others! This movement means a lot to me personally and apparently to many others. So instead of letting these songs fade to the background like so many of the songs before them lets all stand together and DO SOMETHING. Start living the lyrics of these songs, dont let people knock you down, rise up like like a skyscraper. Who says you arent worth it? They are the ones you SHOULDNT listen to, Dont let them make you feel unpretty! Together we can change this world and make it more positive. WE ARENT alone, there are SO many organizations trying to do this and if we ALL work together...well in 5 years we'll be looking at a different world. :)

Dont just cling to these things when you are down, cling to them ALL the time.

"Although they try to knock me down
I'm gonna stand up, gonna stand my ground
I'm gonna open up my heart to give yeah
Because it's the only way to live
I'm gonna be positive yeah" Positive, Taio Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment